Saturday 4 June 2016

Community Gardens weeks 16, 17

Week 16

It's been a couple of busy, very productive weeks for the community gardens. Now that we are not spending every other day collecting materials, we're able to start building and creating amazing spaces. 

Mid week, hubby decided it was time to finally move the bathtubs the lovely neighbour said we could have. They were already half full of dirt, so as you can imagine, it was no easy task. Lucky my hubby is freakishly strong- growing up on land has built him for such a time as this :)

Take a look below for some progress pics...


Old bathtubs are fine, but they definitely needed cladding.
The old fence palings purchased at Bunnings were about to be put to some good use, after a trim of course.


After much measuring, frustration at discovering the bracing wasn't sufficient, some re-cutting, the job was nearly done.


And here you have two up-cycled bath tubs ready to be turned into a veggie garden. 
I painted the top black. It was forest green prior to this, as was the concrete sheet cladding beneath. 
I know of one young boy who is a bit keen to get his fave veg-carrots-planted here soon!

The area will also have a pallet herb wall added, and another planter large enough for cherry tomatoes. A perfect way to utilise old tubs and a wasted, sunny corner.


Thursday was a very productive day. Here, hubby is starting the stump removal as the garden entrance will be here.


More plant donations! Thanks to Lorraine & Holly for these beautiful plants.


Holly patiently planted the neatest row of Moses plants I've ever seen. They are going to make the perfect garden edge when established.


Ben doing his usual awesome hard work. Here, he's helping hubby dig out the new garden path.


And the same path covered with gravel, prepped for paving.


Another completed garden bed with yet more bromeliads.


Three daisy bushes were planted among the Moses plants. These babies will each grow to a metre high and wide, adding a long lasting floral touch to the garden border.


The long line of Moses plants. Can't wait til they spread out and create the edge. At a later date, I will be placing a narrow brick pathway along the top, to not only create a mowing edge, but a weed barrier as well.


My sweet toddler loves the front flower garden. And who could blame her! It's growing so well and is bright and cheery.

Week 17

As you will see, there are only two pics for this week. Let me assure you though, a huge amount of work was done. Then, the heavens opened. With a vengeance! No rain for ages, then a torrential downpour that has lasted a few days.
I am grateful. I had almost finished planting out some wild iris and agapanthus when the skies downloaded. It was heavy, but what perfect timing! Freshly planted gardens and much needed rain-yay! 

Today was very productive. The stump removal continues- it's a big'n!

I planted out a huge donation of what I think are agave's. Thanks to Danika for these beauties.

Hubby and the boys cleared a massive section next to last weeks newest bromeliad garden, and the new garden I just planted out. I just had to do some final weeding before the actual planting.

New bridge materials were prepped.

Overall, it was a brilliant day.

I had hoped to take more photo's today after my cleaning job, but it's still pouring with rain. Next week, people. Fingers crossed.


Hubby using the matic to enlarge the embarrassing job I did on making deep holes to plant into.


The newly planted agave. They are perfect for the position-full sun, and add interest to the slope, once the site of the original pathway.
It just needs a little more sugar cane mulch and it's done.


Thanks to Google images, I found a pic to show you what I also managed to plant out the front garden. These beauties (gazanias) grow in poor soil and hot sun- perfect low maintenance plants. 


We have these growing around our complex-wild iris-and I love them. Of course, they had to be used for the community gardens too.
I planted several tube stock of these guys, which are currently still being watered in well.
Thanks again Google images.


Yes, Google images again. I have been so keen to plant out my tube stock of these- purple agapanthus. They share the same large bed as the wild iris. I am so excited to see these plants establish and flower. They will add so much to the gardens.

While I'm completely grateful for the long overdue rain, it has made documenting our progress a little challenging. The strong winds have also taken a few plants out, and some branches down. Nothing too serious. As nothing will dry out anytime soon, replanting won't be too hard.

I look forward to sharing more with you soon. Until then, thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment